The history of Château Coutet as a winemaking estate starts in 1643, when Charles Le Guérin, known as Lord of Coutet, made it one of the first vineyards in the Sauternes appellation. The estate remained in the hands of his descendants until 1788.
Marcel Baly and two of his sons, Philippe and Dominique, became the new owners of Château Coutet in 1977. Originally from Alsace, the family subsequently expanded overseas, especially in the United States. With zeal and determination, they set about the task of renewing the vineyard and the winery buildings.
In 1994, the two brothers concluded an agreement with Baron Philippe de Rothschild SA. The winemaking team is now advised by the technical staff from Château Mouton Rothschild.
Created by the Baly family in 1977, La Chartreuse de Coutet is the second wine of Château Coutet. Made with the same care, born from the same vines, with a blend representative of the varietal mix in the vineyard, la Chartreuse de Coutet is a Sauterne.
|Wine||Grape Varietal||Age of the vines||Nature of soil||Technical Sheet|
|Chartreuse de Coutet Sauternes||75% Sémillon, 23%, Sauvignon Blanc, 2% Muscadelle||NA||Clay-Limestone|
|FOUNDED||In 1977 the Baly family became the owner|
|SIZE OF THE VINEYARD|